Tuesday, January 19, 2016

TIPS ON HOW TO SURVIVE THE ABUJA TRANSPORTATION FARE HIKE




A visitor to the FCT may experience what I just did. If it is your first time in Abuja and you don't have any one to give you directions or tell you how much the cab fare is, just get ready to spend all your money on transportation to your destination. Unsuspecting visitors fall prey to this such of situation in Abuja.
 Standing at Uye bus stop  looking for a cab to take me to Shoprite at Apo. I asked the first cab, a dark-skinned man, possibly  in his 30s, he said Menini! speaking in Hausa  as if I understood  what that meant. I replied  Apo, he blurted  out three Thousand , e far like that, was what I could reply as he zoomed off,in search of another passenger.
I stood there for like 20 minutes  still trying to get a cab.Finally I got tired and frustrated  and decided to go with the next cab that stops  for me, suddenly  a cab approaches  me, the driver of the cab waves his hand at me, pointing at a position adjacent the road I stood, I just guessed  that meant my destination,and I asked how much for Apo? I didn't wait to banter  the fare with him, I just opened  the cab door and practically jumped in so that he won't have any reason not to pick me,as he sped away.
The road was free not the usual traffic holdup peculiar  to Lagos, though the it was busy but no traffic jam.
The sight was delightful to the eyes, as I passed luxurious  buildings in choice  places, business premises as well as hotels which all smelt big buck, what can I say,Abuja is a very beautiful  place.
Almost at my destination, the cab driver asked for the exact place I was going to in Apo, I told him family Christian Center, at least that is what I was told to say as its easier  to locate my destination  that way.
The cab pulled  up at my destination, I asked the cab man how much I was to pay him, he said 3000naira, I told him I couldn't  pay that amount  of money for such a short  distance. He started speaking  his language (mother tongue)I didn't  understand  a word of what he said, but thank God he could communicate  with me. Finally, we came to an agreement  and I paid 1500,whoof, at least, ok right?

 Hints on how to  survive  the Abuja Transportation fare hike.
* Be smart
* Wake up early to avoid the early morning  rush.
* Don't act like a stranger
* Call whoever  you are visiting  to give you  directions  and tell you how much it cost to get there.
* Consider jumping bus/cab or unless you can afford it, go for the cab;you will arrive your  destination in record time.

No comments: